Friday, June 17, 2011

Long Time Gone (Slow Boogie)


I am putting together a promotional album, the working title of which is Tall Tales.  More on this subject later.

For the moment, the above is a teaser.  I made a video of the song because Blogger doesn't let me post audio only, and I don't want to futz around and learn to link to audio hosted on other sites.  The video is just Flip footage of my Tascam 2488 Mk. ii during the mastering process -- don't get too excited.

This song requires a couple of words of explanation.

First, I originally wrote this, several years ago, to celebrate the retirement of a guy named John Combo, an Intel lawyer, a gentleman, a scholar and an enologist of some repute, who didn't really retire after all.  In the press of affairs, I didn't actually have time to record the song and give it to him at the time, so this may come as some surprise to him.  The second verse originally went "Arizona sunshine, Paris in the rain", which made more sense in the context of John Combo's career, but none in the context of mine.

Second, I had never listened to Crosby, Stills & Nash (and/or & Young), but after I had written this song, they came and performed in the little Idaho town where I live, so of course I had to go.  To my surprise, they played a song which has a refrain in common with this one.  Oops.  I can't be sure I hadn't heard their song on the radio, but I can tell you that I was not a CSNY listener and was not consciously aware of it.  Besides, let's admit it, it's kind of an obvious lyric.  And anyway, the two songs are totally, TOTALLY different.  Here's CSNY:

No comments:

Post a Comment